A day after causing chaos by quietly posting new health orders online, the NDP government is adding insult to injury by failing to provide additional and accelerated support for small businesses that are hanging by a thread in light of extended restrictions, the BC Liberals said on Tuesday.
“It’s absolutely mind-boggling how the NDP continues to mess this up so bad. They are still unable to recognize the detrimental impact that another month of inadequate government support will have on small businesses,” said Todd Stone, BC Liberal Critic for Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation.
“Minister [Ravi] Kahlon said in December that the COVID-19 Closure Relief Grant was only half the size of the previous Circuit Breaker Grant because of the shorter restriction period. Now that the health order has been extended for another month, the NDP must accelerate and expand the program, which should have been announced today.”
Health orders restricting the operations of businesses in B.C. have been extended to February 16 with enhanced measures and capacity limits put in place for fitness facilities.
“Last week the NDP promised the supports would be made available for businesses if health orders were extended, however, businesses that were forced to close in December still haven’t received a single penny of support from the NDP’s current grant program,” said Stone. “Employers and workers need help today, not more instability and uncertainly from this government. This is the fifth wave of COVID-19, when is the NDP going to learn and act?”
According to the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, 35 per cent of small businesses are losing money every single day.