FOLLOWING a lengthy investigation by the Surrey RCMP’s Criminal Collision Investigation Team (CCIT), Syed Munim Ahmed, 28, of Surrey has been charged in connection with a fatal motor vehicle collision which occurred in 2016.
In the early morning hours of May 22, 2016, Surrey RCMP began their investigation of a serious motor vehicle collision at the intersection of 88th Avenue and 152nd Street, which involved multiple vehicles.
A Toyota 4-Runner had been travelling westbound on 88th Avenue and was making a left turn onto 152nd Street southbound when it was stuck on the passenger side by an eastbound Nissan Altima. The Altima, after colliding with the 4-Runner, then struck a third vehicle that was travelling westbound on 88th Avenue. Two occupants of the 4-Runner later succumbed to their injuries. Three other persons were transported to hospital via ambulance, one of them, the driver of the Altima, in critical condition and the other two (driver of the 4-Runner and driver of third vehicle) in serious but stable condition.
“The alleged actions of one individual have had an enormous impact on the lives of everyone involved in this collision,” said Inspector Shawna Baher on Monday. “For those who were seriously injured, those who witnessed this tragedy, and for the families involved, we hope that entering the court process can be the first step in finding closure.”
Syed Munim Ahmed has been charged with:
* Two counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death
* One count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm
* Two counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing death
* One count of impaired operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm
* Two counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle over 80mg% causing death
* One count of impaired operation of a motor vehicle over 80mg% causing bodily harm
Surrey RCMP say they are committed to making the roadways safe. If you witness a suspected impaired driver, call police as soon as it is safe to do so. For more information on the dangers of impaired driving and the penalties involved, visit the Surrey RCMP’s website.