WITH the Public Health Orders extended through the holiday season, we know this is a challenging time for our community, says the City of Surrey. While these measures are not forever, they have been put in place to slow the spread of the virus and save lives. The City is calling on residents to virtually celebrate the holidays with those outside their household and avoid all non-essential travel.
“While this Christmas season will no doubt feel different, we know that the future looks bright with the arrival of vaccines. However, with COVID cases still spiking in the Fraser Health region, it is critical that we stay vigilant by keeping our guard up and doing what we can to protect our most vulnerable population this holiday season,” said Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum. “While we all must do our part in keeping each other safe there are still many ways we can stay connected and support one another over the Christmas holidays.”
The following are some ideas to celebrate the holiday season safely here in Surrey, while following the provincial health orders:
- Walk around your neighbourhood and take in the beautiful lights and decorations set up by homes or businesses as part of the Light Where You Live Campaign.
- Surrey Parks are always open for a lovely winter stroll, while following the safety guidelines.
- Experience a Victorian Christmas by taking a virtual tour of the Historic Stewart Farm.
- Enjoy songs, stories and rhymes with your children on Surrey Libraries Facebook page.
- Take traditional holiday celebrations virtual this year, through video apps such as Google Hangouts, Zoom, WhatsApp and FaceTime. Consider a virtual gift unwrapping activity with your family. Share photos or videos of your festive lights with us for a chance to win prizes or enter the Surrey Tree Lighting 12 Days of Giveaways contest.
- Participate in Surrey Libraries Christmas activities like Teen Christmas Kahoot! Tournament and Take & Make Crafts.
- Take a free online fitness class in the comfort of your own home.
Check out more online activities to enjoy during the holidays at surrey.ca/online-programming.
Download Mayor McCallum’s Covid Update here.