ENVIRONMENT Canada issued a snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver on Tuesday morning:
- City of Vancouver – including Burnaby and New Westminster
- Metro Vancouver – northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
- Metro Vancouver – southeast including Surrey and Langley
- Metro Vancouver – southwest including Richmond and Delta
- North Shore – including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
Snowfall, with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.
A low pressure system has spread snow over Vancouver Island and it is now spreading over the Lower Mainland. Rain will quickly transition to wet snow through this morning and begin accumulating. Amounts will be quite variable depending on intensity and how quickly the airmass cools. Thus amounts near 5 cm are possible near sea level with the greatest accumulation of 10 to 15 cm likely over the higher terrain and inland areas. Snow will taper to flurries this evening and end overnight as drier air spreads across the region.
Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Take frequent breaks and avoid strain when clearing snow.