THE Special Committee on Reforming the Police Act is accepting submissions as part of its consultation.
The Legislative Assembly appointed this all-party special committee to undertake an inquiry into policing, including examining the role of police with respect to complex social issues; examining the scope of systemic racism within British Columbia’s police agencies; and ensuring consistency of a modernized Police Act with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
“Committee members are considering a broad range of issues pertaining to the public safety continuum,” said Doug Routley, committee chair. “We are looking forward to engaging with British Columbians and hearing about their views, experiences and solutions for reforming and improving the provision of public safety in B.C.”
Dan Davies, deputy chair, said: “The committee recognizes that there are complex, systemic challenges and barriers, as well as intersections with many health and social issues. We hope to facilitate the participation of a diverse range of stakeholders on the significant matters before us.”
British Columbians are invited to share their input by making a written, audio or video submission by April 30, 2021. Following the submission deadline, interested individuals and organizations may be invited to present to the committee. All hearings will be conducted by video/teleconference. The committee is taking a phased approach to its inquiry and additional opportunities to participate will be available at a later stage.
For more details on the committee’s consultation, visit its website: www.leg.bc.ca/cmt/rpa
Or contact the parliamentary committee’s office at 250 356-2933 or 1 877 428-8337 (toll-free in B.C.).
Members of the committee are:
* Doug Routley, MLA for Nanaimo-North Cowichan (chair)
* Dan Davies, MLA for Peace River North (deputy chair)
* Garry Begg, MLA for Surrey-Guildford
* Rick Glumac, MLA for Port Moody-Coquitlam
* Trevor Halford, MLA for Surrey-White Rock
* Karin Kirkpatrick, MLA for West Vancouver-Capilano
* Grace Lore, MLA for Victoria-Beacon Hill
* Adam Olsen, MLA for Saanich North and the Islands
* Harwinder Sandhu, MLA for Vernon-Monashee
* Rachna Singh, MLA for Surrey-Green Timbers