Woman and youth dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning near Salmon Arm campground

ON Saturday (May 18), just after 10 a.m., the Salmon RCMP responded to a complaint at a private campground just outside Salmon Arm of two persons in medical distress.

Police located a dead adult female, and a group of persons performing first aid on a youth.

Through investigation it was determined that the pair had been camping in a tent and gone to bed at approximately midnight. In the tent investigators located a cooking pot with wood ash in it that is believed to have been used as source of heat. Based on the evidence gathered, it appears that both tent occupants may have been overcome by carbon monoxide from the wood burning, according to police.

BC Air Ambulance transported the youth, who was in serious condition, to a hospital. Victim Services was contacted to offer assistance and support.

The BC Coroners Service was contacted and is in the early stages of its fact-finding investigation.