CANADA Place has announced the diverse and fun-filled lineup of entertainment and activities that will make the 32nd annual Canada Day at Canada Place on July 1 the largest Canada Day celebration outside the nation’s capital.
Canada’s 152nd birthday party will feature a full day of festivities, great food, family fun and fireworks that will celebrate our nation’s values, innovation and diversity. Getting things under way at 9:30 a.m. is the traditional Citizenship Ceremony that will welcome 60 new Canadians to our multicultural family. The ceremony is open to the public and all are invited to attend as a way to reaffirm your citizenship. At 11 a.m., all zones and exhibits will open with great entertainment and activities for guests of all ages. The performance stages will begin at 12 p.m. Event highlights will include:
- Daytime event performances: Featuring terrific musical acts and dance performances that reflect the talent and diversity of Canada itself, with DiRTY RADiO, Old Soul Rebel, Bitterly Divine, Marieme and many more.
- Main Stage headliner Delhi 2 Dublin: Canada’s popular world music group burst onto the music scene in 2007 when they played Canada Day in Ottawa to a national TV audience. This year, they’re celebrating the nation’s birthday at home with their joyful and supercharged brand of “Subcontinental Pop” that blends South Asian roots, high-level folk, alternative-pop and electronic beats.
- Coast Capital Savings Youth Zone and Stage: Located on the North Point of Canada Place, this zone will feature a lineup of fantastic music from artists including headliner DiRTY RADiO.
- Canadian Forces Zone (Hall B): Incredible displays and interactive exhibits that honour Canada’s Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- Innovation Zone (Ballrooms A, B & C): The Innovation Zone provides a peek into the future through displays, exhibits, and inspirational talks from some of the most interesting and forward-thinking organizations around.
- Kids’ Zone (Hall A): New for this year, the Kids’ Zone will feature a ton of activities to keep the kids entertained. Featuring emcee and music by Rock’N’Beau, a pop-up planetarium, basketball and soccer “drills & skills,” mini performances from Theatre Under the Stars and a mascot dance-off at 3:00 p.m.!
- Picnic Plaza: Parks Canada “Learn to Camp” activity, axe throwing, buskers and family-friendly activities.
- Food trucks: Experience the great multi-cultural tastes of Canada.
- Fireworks: Vancouver’s only two-barge simultaneous pyrotechnic extravaganza, viewable from Vancouver’s waterfront and the North Shore, with tickets (and best viewing) available at the family-friendly Fireworks Viewing Zone. Proceeds from ticket sales go to Strathcona Community Centre’s Food Security for Children program.
All zones and activities will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the performance stages open at 12 p.m. A great variety of food trucks will be onsite for Canada Day at Canada Place and they’ll remain open until 10:30 p.m. to feed spectators getting ready for the start of the popular Canada Day Fireworks Show that runs from 10:30 p.m. to 10:50 p.m.
The entrance to Canada Day at Canada Place is at the intersection of Burrard Street and Canada Place. As vehicle access will be limited due to road closures, the public is encouraged to take public transit to nearby Burrard Station via SkyTrain, or to Waterfront Station via SeaBus and TransLink buses. The area around Burrard and Hastings streets is recommended as a drop-off area for guests arriving by vehicle.
Volunteers are still needed for Canada Day at Canada Place. It’s a great way to build experience, get involved in your community, meet new people and show your Canadian pride. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old, enjoy working with the public and be able to commit to a minimum of eight hours of volunteer work. Volunteer positions are needed for the following areas: Information kiosks, site maintenance, line monitors/ushers, stagehands and runners, talent/volunteer assistants, Citizenship Ceremony assistants, and greeters. If you are interested in volunteering for Canada Day at Canada Place, please register here.
More information is available at https://www.canadaplace.ca/events/canada-day/