VANCOUVER Police have taken 183 impaired drivers off the road in this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign that ran from July 1 to August 3.
“With the ongoing pandemic and bars only now starting to re-open, the numbers are lower than last year. However, they are still quite significant,” said Constable Tania Visintin on Thursday. “It’s disappointing that even with all of the education, awareness and enforcement, people are still getting behind the wheel while impaired.”
Of the 183 impaired drivers taken off the road, 51 drivers were issued roadside suspensions, 122 drivers were issued immediate roadside prohibitions, and 10 drivers have Criminal Code charges recommended against them for impaired driving offences.
“Driving impaired by alcohol or drugs is extremely dangerous and puts the driver and other innocent road users at risk. The chance of getting caught are high and it is just not worth the consequences,” said Visintin. “Enjoy your night out responsibly. Plan ahead for a safe ride home.”
Last summer’s campaign ran from June 28 to August 5. It resulted in 360 impaired drivers taken off the road.
CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable, noted Vancouver Police.
Anyone who sees or suspects an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.