FORMER BC premier Gordon Campbell must return his Order of Canada or else the Governor General must withdraw it after the stunning revelation by British newspaper Daily Telegraph that British police are investigating an allegation of sexual assault made against him when he was the Canadian High Commissioner to Britain by a female London high commission worker.
Campbell has been accused of groping a member of staff in 2013.
Canada’s Governor General Julie Payette appointed Campbell to the second-highest rank of the Order of Canada in recognition of his contributions to B.C. and his service as high commissioner to the United Kingdom.
Campbell’s accuser told the Daily Telegraph that “the recent decision to appoint Mr Campbell as an officer of the Order of Canada, the country’s second highest honour, partly in recognition for his service as high commissioner to the UK, was the “straw that broke the camel’s back”.”
The newspaper reported that other women had also complained about Campbell.
It said that the accuser “initially raised the incident with Mark Fletcher, the then consul general, whom she says had warned her when taking on the role that three other women had raised concerns about the high commissioner’s behaviour.”
The newspaper said: “When approached by this newspaper, Mr Fletcher, who is now a director general of Global Affairs Canada, declined to comment on the allegations. He refused to say whether he had received complaints from other women or had acted on them, or if he had been aware of a pattern of behaviour that should have been addressed.”
The very fact that Fletcher did not deny that he had received other complaints, speaks volumes for itself.
It is well known that Campbell was given the diplomatic appointment by then prime minister Stephen Harper for imposing the hated Harmonized Sales Tax HST in B.C. after promising British Columbians during the election campaign that he would not do so. There was such massive resentment against Campbell that his party members forced him to step down as Premier. Campbell was trying to please Harper who wanted the HST.
ON Tuesday, CBC reported that Campbell will no longer be leading a review of cost overruns of Manitoba Hydro megaprojects amid sexual assault allegations.
A Manitoba government spokesperson said the decision was “mutual.”
CBC said that the spokesperson wrote in an email: “The province of Manitoba is committed to being a leader in policies and practices that prevent and address harassment in the workplace.
“In the interest of reserving judgement until the facts come to light, we are pausing Mr. Campbell’s role in the review until the responsible authorities have completed their review of these allegations.”