Raj Chouhan is nominee for Speaker; Niki Sharma is Deputy Caucus Chair
THE new executive for the BC New Democrat Government Caucus was appointed Thursday. The new executive, joining Premier John Horgan, includes the Chair, House Leader, Whip and deputies. In addition, nominees for the Speaker and Deputy Speaker were also announced.
The caucus executive leading the 1st session (2020) of the 42nd Parliament:
- John Horgan (Langford-Juan De Fuca), Premier
- Bob D’Eith (Maple Ridge-Mission), Caucus Chair
- Niki Sharma (Vancouver-Hastings), Deputy Caucus Chair
- Mike Farnworth (PSSG/Port Coquitlam), House Leader
- Lisa Beare (Citizen Services/Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows), Deputy House Leader
- Garry Begg (Surrey-Guildford) Government Whip
- Michele Babchuk (North Island) Deputy Government Whip
The executive term will run until June 2022, at which point caucus members will elect Chair, Whip and associated deputy positions.
In addition to the caucus executive, Raj Chouhan (Burnaby-Edmonds) was announced as the nominee for Speaker.
Spencer Chandra Herbert (Vancouver-West End) was announced as the nominee for Deputy Speaker.
Both positions are elected by the House at the first sitting of the new Parliament.