THE NDP says that while Andrew Wilkinson sat at the cabinet table, homelessness in Metro Vancouver soared by 30% from 2,777 to 3,605 (2014-2017: Homeless Count BCNPHA).
With record investments to tackle homelessness, John Horgan and the BC NDP flattened that increase completely (2017-2020: Homeless Count BCNPHA).
Metro Vancouver Homeless Count
The NDP says Metro Vancouver homelessness tripled under the BC Liberals while under the BC NDP it has grown by less than 1%.
COVID-19 has brought challenges. The NDP says it’s increasing supports for people and communities struggling with homelessness and substance use challenges – to improve access to treatment and support public safety:
- New psychiatrist-led ACT teams (Assertive Community Treatment) which have reduced problems with street disorder by 71% and violence by 36% by providing 24/7 specialized care for severe mental health issues (Vancouver Coastal Health).
- $100M in new grants to local governments to address challenges around homelessness, street disorder and safety.
- Seven new and nine expanded Substance Use Integrated Teams to help people stay on treatment, including an expanded Vancouver team, and a new Victoria team
- More supports in Yaletown through Vancouver Coastal Health:
- A Clinical Outreach Support team with nurses, now expanding to social workers
- Three new Intensive Housing Outreach Teams, including nurses
The NDP says that once again, Wilkinson is not offering any solutions – even to problems that grew under his watch.