Peter Kampos charged with attempted murder for Chilliwack shooting; investigation into shootings at semi-trucks continues (update)

Suspect vehicle
THE RCMP announced on Wednesday that Peter Anthony Kampos, 38, has been charged for attempted murder in connection with the March 25 (Saturday) shooting that allegedly occurred in the area of the Ford Mountain Forest Road in Chilliwack. He remains in custody and is believed to be from Ontario.
Police are also continuing their investigation into a series of vehicle shootings that took place over a 14-hour period, beginning March 24 at 1 p.m. and allegedly involving a 2009 4-door, blue Dodge Caliber bearing Ontario license plate CAVM918.  So far, police have received 22 reports of commercial trucks believed to have been shot and one report involving a passenger vehicle.
“We are asking those who may have travelled Highway 37 on March 24 between Kitimat and Terrace, Highway 16 between Terrace and Prince George as well as Highway 97 from Prince George to 100 Mile House to carefully examine their vehicle for suspicious damage,” said RCMP Staff-Sgt. Annie Linteau. “We are asking anyone who may have been the victim of a suspicious incident allegedly involving Mr. Kampos or the vehicle he was driving to contact their local detachment.”
Investigators of the Chilliwack Serious Crime Unit are continuing their investigation of the incident that occurred in the Ford Mountain Forest Service Road area which will include looking at Kampos’ movements prior to March 24 and possible motivations.


REPORTS of shots fired at a passenger vehicle and semi-trucks were received from multiple communities including Houston, Burns Lake, Vanderhoof, Clucuz Lake, Prince George, Quesnel and 100 Mile House. There were no reported injuries.
Investigators of the Real Time Intelligence Centre – BC (RTIC – BC) advised all British Columbia police officers of the incidents and asked them to be on the lookout for the suspect vehicle.
On March 25, at approximately 3:35 p.m., Chilliwack RCMP received a report that a man had allegedly been shot in the area of the Ford Mountain Forest Road. Police learned that the victim had fled the suspect and managed to find help when he came upon Canadian Forces personnel working at a range on Chilliwack Lake Road.
Persons in attendance including military police and reservists provided first aid to the victim who was then airlifted to a Lower Mainland hospital. Due to the exceptional efforts of all first responders and medical staff, the 39-year-old Chilliwack resident survived and has non-life-threatening injuries. He remains in hospital.
Given the new information about the Chilliwack shooting and that the suspect was believed to be armed and dangerous, police requested the assistance of the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team (ERT), the Integrated Police Dog Service, and Air Services. An extensive ground and air search of the area was conducted.
Members of the Integrated Police Dog Service and the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team, who were nearby, proceeded on foot up the Ford Mountain Forest Service Road through steep terrain to locate the suspect. At approximately 5:10 p.m., they located the suspect and took him into custody without further incident. The man’s vehicle was located nearby.
“This proved to be an extremely fluid and fast-evolving situation. Public safety was our priority. To ensure the safe apprehension of the suspect, we engaged all specialized resources available and ensured all police personnel had what they needed. We cannot underestimate the role the quick coordination of resources and timely sharing of information had on the resolution of this incident, said Chief Superintendent Dave Attfield, Acting Criminal Operations Officers – Core Policing, on Monday.