TRANSLINK is replacing major sections of its 30-year-old SkyTrain track while keeping the service open for customers.
The rail replacement work will keep the system safe and reliable for many years to come. In the short term, it will cause delays for customers taking the Millennium and Expo lines this weekend and next.
“Passengers board our trains about 120 million times a year, and we’re committed to a safe and smooth journey for each and every one,” said Colleen Brennan, TransLink Vice-President Communications and Customer Experience.
“We want to keep our valued customers moving while the rail replacement work is underway, and we’re doing everything we can to keep people moving while the repair work is done.”
Customers should plan for at least 20 minutes of extra travel time this weekend.
There will be signs at all stations, and announcements will be made on trains and at stations. SkyTrain attendants will be on hand to answer questions throughout the system.
Crews are replacing a total of 4,550 linear metres of rail, work needed to keep the Expo Line safe and reliable. The rail being replaced is original track and is nearly 30 years old.
Friday, August 28 (11 p.m.) to end of service Sunday, August 30
* Expo and Millennium Line service will be reduced, while crews replace rail west of Edmonds Station. Trains will single track at Edmonds and Royal Oak stations.
* Millennium Line will operate between VCC-Clark and Columbia stations only. To connect to Millennium Line, passengers can take Expo Line and change trains at Commercial-Broadway or Columbia stations.
* Additional trains will operate between Waterfront and Metrotown stations only. Passengers boarding Expo Line in Vancouver and travelling to stations east of Metrotown should wait for “King George” trains and avoid transferring at Metrotown where the platform is narrowed during construction.
September 5 to 7, all day (Labour Day weekend)
* Expo and Millennium Line service will be reduced, while crews replace rail west of Commercial-Broadway Station. Trains will single track at Commercial-Broadway and Main Street-Science World stations.
* Millennium Line will operate between VCC-Clark and Columbia stations only.
* A frequent bus shuttle will operate between VCC-Clark, Main Street-Science World and Stadium-Chinatown stations from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Millennium Line customers travelling into or out of downtown Vancouver in the afternoon should consider using this bus service.
For information on the service impacts, customers can:
* Visit www.translink.ca and check Transit Alerts
* Follow TransLink on Twitter
* Or call Customer Service at 604-953-3333