CURIOUS about what it’s like to be a police officer? Did you know there’s more to it than the patrol officer you see on the road? Apply to the Surrey RCMP’s Citizen Police Academy and get an inside look at policing in the largest RCMP detachment in Canada.
The Surrey RCMP is now accepting applications for its second Citizen Police Academy, which will be running from September 16-November 4.
The Citizen Police Academy is an eight-week course designed to give Surrey residents an inside look into policing in Surrey. This interactive learning series aims to foster a better understanding between Surrey citizens and the RCMP and explore what the community can do together to enhance public safety.
The Academy will feature presentations and demonstrations by police officers and staff on a variety of topics including:
* Day in the life of a patrol officer
* Drugs and major crime
* Mental health and addictions
* Police Dog Services
* Crime prevention
* Traffic investigations
* Basic law and the court system
“We were very encouraged by the positive feedback received from last year’s inaugural academy and are pleased to be building on the program’s success this year,” says Surrey RCMP Officer-in-Charge Chief Superintendent Bill Fordy. “When residents have a better understanding of the work of their local police and we have a better understanding of citizen concerns, we can work together to enhance public safety.”
Applicants to the Citizen Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
* Completed application form (available June 29-July 31)
* 18 years of age or older (as of September 16, 2015)
* Resident or business owner in Surrey
* Complete and pass a criminal record check (no record or pending charges)
* Be eager to learn, engage and participate in the course
* Be available to attend all eight sessions (Wednesday evenings from September 16-November 4)
Application deadline is July 31.
For more information on the Surrey RCMP Citizen Academy and for application information, visit www.surrey.rcmp.ca or email Surrey.CPA-EPA.Surrey@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.