SURREY RCMP are now seeking applications for their Citizen and Youth Police Academy, running from September 18 to November 13, every Wednesday night for nine weeks.
Youth applications are being accepted from May 1-31 while adult applications will be available from May 31-July 2.
The Citizen and Youth Police Academy is meant for any Surrey resident, student or business owner who has an interest in policing or would like to educate themselves further about policing in Surrey. From frontline officers to specialized investigations to community programming and the criminal justice system, participants are provided an interactive learning environment on policing at Surrey detachment. The overall objective is to strengthen relationships between the community and the police and to enhance public safety in the city.
“Participants in these academies are always surprised to learn how each and every one of them can play an integral role in helping us deter crime and protect personal property,” says Surrey RCMP Cpl. Elenore Sturko. “This is an opportunity to empower our residents and to continue to work with us towards a common goal of a safe and livable Surrey.”
How to apply?
- Completed application form (available at www.surrey.rcmp.ca)
- Youth: Surrey student in grade 10, 11, or 12 as of September 12, 2019
- Adults: 18 years of age or older
- Complete and pass a criminal record check (no record or pending charges)
- Be eager to learn, engage and participate in the course
- Be available to attend all nine sessions