WHILE the City of Surrey has and THE City of Surrey on Wednesday welcomed the nearly $15 million in federal and provincial funding from the COVID-19 Safe Restart Grant for Local Governments.
“The City of Surrey has been working hard to safely navigate through the turbulent waters created by COVID-19,” said Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum. “The $15 million in funding today helps to stabilize the sound foundation we have built for the city’s fiscal house. I want to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to the federal and provincial governments for their support to Surrey and all municipalities. This new funding ensures that Surrey will continue to operate in a position of relative strength despite the challenging circumstances.”
Under the COVID-19 Safe Restart Grant for Local Governments, the City of Surrey has been allocated $14,769,000. This funding will support local government facing increased operating costs and lower revenues due to COVID-19.
Eligible costs include:
- Revenue shortfalls
- Facility reopening and operating costs
- Emergency planning and response costs
- Bylaw enforcement and protective services, like fire and police
- Computer and other electronic technology costs to improve virtual communications and interconnectivity
- Services for vulnerable persons (such as persons living with disabilities, mental illness or addictions, persons experiencing homelessness or other vulnerabilities)
- Other related costs