Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry will be revising the public health order requiring masks be worn in indoor public settings to include children five and older to align with the school mask-wearing requirement. More details on the decision and when the order will take effect will be provided during next week’s COVID-19 briefing.
B.C. is reporting 743 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 192,491 cases in the province.
In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,001.
The new deaths include:
* Fraser Health: three
* Interior Health: one
* Northern Health: one
As of Friday, 88.6% (4,107,666) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. had received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.2% (3,811,076) had received their second dose.
In addition, 89.1% (3,853,731) of all eligible adults in B.C. have now received their first dose and 83% (3,587,996) have received their second dose.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,937,214 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
From September 30 to October 6, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 69.4% of cases and from September 23 to October 6 they accounted for 76.7% of hospitalizations.
There are currently 5,969 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 184,121 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 360 individuals are currently in hospital and 137 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 265 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 2,339
* 69 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 833
* 143 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 1,129
* 196 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 893
* 70 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 717
* No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 58
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks: at Cherington Place (Fraser Health) and Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health). The outbreak at Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health) has been declared over.
There is a total of 17 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care:
– Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre, and Cherington Place (Fraser Health);
– Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, and Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
– Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
* acute care:
– Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health); and
– University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health).
* assisted or independent living:
– Sunset Manor (Fraser Health); and
– Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).