OVER the past 24 hours, B.C. is reporting 2,944 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 246,671 cases in the province.
Since last reported on December 24, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,419.
The new deaths include:
* Interior Health: one
* Northern Health: one
* Island Health: three
As of Wednesday, 88.0% (4,384,402) of eligible people five and older in B.C. had received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.8% (4,129,587) had received their second dose.
In addition, 91.9% (4,259,339) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.1% (4,129,454) have received their second dose, and 18.5% (858,774) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.3% (3,990,578) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.6% (3,873,920) have received their second dose, and 19.8% (857,935) have received a third dose.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,337,772 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
From December 21-27, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 15.9% of cases.
From December 14-27, they accounted for 57.6% of hospitalizations.
There are 16,014 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 227,780 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 206 individuals are in hospital and 66 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 1,591 new cases in Fraser Health
– Total active cases: 7,192
* 571 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
– Total active cases: 5,462
* 374 new cases in Interior Health
– Total active cases: 1,576
* 99 new cases in Northern Health
– Total active cases: 431
* 309 new cases in Island Health
– Total active cases: 1,353
* no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
– Total active cases: zero
There have been 2,452 cases of the Omicron variant of concern confirmed in B.C.:
* Fraser Health: 628
* Vancouver Coastal Health: 1,265
* Interior Health: 114
* Northern Health: seven
* Island Health: 436
* Unknown: two
There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court, The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health) and UBC Hospital – Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health), for a total of seven facilities with ongoing outbreaks:
* long-term care:
– The Oxford Senior Care Home, Fort Langley Seniors Community, AgeCare Harmony Court (Fraser Health); and
– Ridgeview Lodge (Interior Health)
* acute care:
– Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)
* assisted or independent living:
– The Waverly Seniors Village (Fraser Health)
* mental health and substance use:
– UBC Hospital – Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health)