AS part of TransLink’s ongoing safety inspections of the Pattullo Bridge, two lanes of the bridge will be closed each night September 16–20 (inclusive). During these inspections, traffic access will be either northbound or southbound only. The lane closures will occur between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. as listed below:
- September 16 and 17: travel will be northbound only (Surrey heading to New Westminster)
- September 18, 19 and 20: travel will be southbound only (New Westminster heading to Surrey)
- The inspection includes a snooper truck on the bridge deck extending its “basket” outwards and curling under the deck surface where crews can inspect the underside of the bridge. The lane closures are required for the safety of the inspection crew and for people driving across the bridge.
- Emergency vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians will be able to cross the bridge at all times.
- Drivers are encouraged to use the Port Mann or Alex Fraser Bridge as alternatives during the inspection.
- Transit customers taking the N19 NightBus should plan for an additional 30 minutes of travel time due to re-routing of the bus over the Alex Fraser and Queensborough Bridges.
Road signs will display closure details until all work is complete. On the nights of the inspection, drivers are asked to obey all traffic-control devices and personnel on the bridge approaches, and to allow for extra travel time due to detours.
This is an annual inspection of the Pattullo Bridge to ensure it remains safe until its replacement is completed in 2023.
For information on the Pattullo Bridge, customers can: