Top questions CRA gets at tax time

EVERY year around tax time, Canadians call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with a variety of questions. See below for our answers to the top questions asked at tax time. A number of these can be addressed by using the CRA’s online services such as My Account or the CRA’s mobile web apps, MyCRA or MyBenefits CRA.


Top questions


How do I change my address?


You can do it online if you  are registered for My AccountMyCRA or MyBenefits CRA, or by calling us at 1-800-959-8281. You can also mail or fax a completed Form RC325, Address Change Request, or a signed letter to your tax centre. Your signed letter must include your social insurance number, your new address, and your moving date.


How do I change my marital status?


You can change your marital status online by using the option “Change my marital status” through My AccountMyCRA or MyBenefits CRA, by calling us at 1-800-387-1193 or by sending a completed RC65 Marital Status Change to your tax centre.


What is my balance owing or where is my refund?


You can find the amount of your balance owing online by logging into My Account or the MyCRA mobile app. If you have a refund, you can find the refund details online in My Account or using the MyCRA mobile app, which includes the refund method (direct deposit or mailed cheque), the date it was sent and the amount. You can also call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999 to ask about your refund. TIPS is available from mid-February to December 2019.


How can I get a copy of my notice of assessment or reassessment?


You can get a copy quickly and easily through My Account. If you are registered for My Account you will be able to view and print detailed information on an assessment or reassessment of your income tax and benefit return for the current year and the previous nine years.


You can choose to receive your tax correspondence online through My Account or the MyCRA and MyBenefits CRA mobile apps. Register your email address through these services or enter your email address on your tax return. When you register for the email notifications service, you will receive an email when your notice of assessment or reassessment, and other CRA correspondence, is available to view online. Go to email notifications to find out more.


How do I sign up for direct deposit?


You can sign up for direct deposit online through My Account; by using the MyCRA and MyBenefits CRA mobile apps; through your financial institution (Desjardins members and TD Canada Trust customers)by filling out and sending a Canada Direct Deposit Enrolment Form; or by calling 1-800-959-8281.


The CRA’s online services make filing and managing your taxes easier


The CRA’s online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to help file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track the status of your return, register for online mail, apply for child benefits, and more. Access the CRA’s full suite of self-service options—register for the CRA’s online services today, and start managing your tax matters online!


If you need to register for My Account or the CRA’s mobile web apps, MyCRA or MyBenefits CRA, select “CRA register.” You will need to provide:

  • your social insurance number;
  • your date of birth;
  • your current postal code or ZIP code; and
  • an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return, so have your copy on hand (the amount requested changes and it could be from either the current tax year or the previous one).