A five-month Vancouver Police Department (VPD) investigation has led to the seizure of eight firearms and more than two kilograms of heroin, fentanyl, and fentanyl analogues. Four Lower Mainland-based gang associates have been arrested and charged with various drug-trafficking and firearms-related offences.
Project Tariff was initiated by the VPD in March to investigate the activities of the Heer / Dhillon / Samra crime group, which was believed to be in conflict with other crimes groups involved in drug-trafficking and criminal activity throughout Metro Vancouver.
“We launched Project Tariff in response to increased reports of incidents of shots fired in Vancouver and the ongoing crime related to gang activity,” said Superintendent Mike Porteous, Investigative Services, VPD. “Over the course of the investigation, we obtained substantial evidence of trafficking of firearms, fentanyl, and other illicit opioids by this group.”
In March, Crown Counsel approved numerous charges related to the investigation:
* Jagraj Mushki Nijjar, 23, of Vancouver, has been charged with possession of a non-restricted firearm, and
* Jaskaran Singh Heer, 22, of Vancouver, has been charged with possession of a loaded restricted firearm, intentionally discharging a restricted firearm, possession of a restricted firearm, and possession of a firearm while prohibited.
On August 10, Crown Counsel approved further charges related to the investigation:
* Harjot Singh Samra, 21, of Vancouver, has been charged with firearms trafficking and drug trafficking, and
* Gary Gurpreet Dhillon, 25, of Richmond, has been charged with possession of proceeds of crime, and drug trafficking.
* JR (Just Right) 9mm carbine semi-automatic assault rifle
* Pietta PPS/50 .22 semi-automatic rifle
* Remington 870 20-gauge pump-action shotgun
* Maverick 12-gauge pump action sawed-off shotgun (prohibited)
* Browning model A-Bolt action rifle
* Three Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm semi-automatic rifles
* 26.97 grams (one ounce) of heroin, fentanyl, and carfentanil
* 971 grams (approximately one kilogram) swabbed positive for heroin and methylfentanyl (has yet to be analyzed by Health Canada)
* 1021 grams (approximately one kilogram) of fentanyl