A re-elected Liberal government will move forward to finish the fight against COVID-19 and get the job done on vaccines, to keep Canadians safe and healthy, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau announced on Friday.
He said that when the pandemic began, the Liberal team moved quickly to procure vaccines so Canadians could stay safe and healthy from the virus. Because of their hard work, they secured enough doses so that every eligible Canadian could be vaccinated by July 2021 — two months ahead of schedule. Now, as our kids head back to school and more people go back to work, we need to ensure all eligible Canadians get their vaccines to keep everyone safe and healthy.
“Early on in the pandemic, our government got to work to make sure every Canadian had access to a vaccine. Thanks to this, and the hard work of Canadians, we’re among the top countries in the world for COVID-19 vaccinations,” said Trudeau. “But we can’t stop there. We need to get the job done on vaccines, and ensure all eligible Canadians get their two doses, so we all can be protected from the virus and go back to normal. This has to be our top priority.”
To keep moving forward and get the job done on vaccines, a re-elected Liberal government will:
- Introduce a COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination Fund that will be available to support provinces and territories who implement a requirement for proof-of-vaccine credentials in their jurisdiction for non-essential businesses and public spaces;
- Continue to procure enough vaccines to ensure all Canadians have access to free COVID-19 booster shots and second-generation vaccines as needed, across all provinces and territories; and
- Invest to study the long-term health impacts of COVID-19, including the effects of “long-COVID” on groups including vulnerable populations and children.
I'm ready for hope. I'm ready for everything we can achieve with faith in each other, with a belief in what this country can be.
Let's choose forward. For everyone. pic.twitter.com/1nl0uFWEzp
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) August 27, 2021
This plan will build on the Liberals’ leadership throughout the pandemic to keep Canadians safe and healthy, including:
- Procuring an extensive portfolio of vaccines early on, so that every eligible Canadian could be vaccinated by July 2021 — two months ahead of schedule;
- Moving forward with mandatory vaccinations for anyone boarding domestic planes or trains;
- Ensuring front line workers have Personal Protective Equipment; and
- Supporting provinces and territories with the Safe Restart Agreement and with COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, including through the procurement and distribution of rapid tests.
“Vaccines are the best way for Canadians to beat this virus, grow the economy, and keep everyone, including our kids, safe and healthy,” said Trudeau. “That’s why we’re ensuring anyone travelling on a plane or a train must be vaccinated – but Erin O’Toole won’t listen to the experts on this issue. He can’t even convince his own candidates to get vaccinated. We need leadership to get us through this crisis and get the job done on vaccines. The Liberals are the only ones who can deliver that.