APPLY to attend a four-day, all expenses paid, leadership institute in Calgary, Alberta. The 2015 SYLI (Sikh Youth Leadership Institute) will be held from August 14-17.
Successful applicants will be provided advocacy and leadership training in emotional intelligence, political advocacy, community building and social justice. The successful applicants will then also be provided with life-long mentoring and support in becoming leaders in their own communities across Canada. Graduates will become activists and leaders for not only Sikhs, but Canadian society in general.
* Flight (non-Alberta residents only; for residents of Alberta, excluding Calgary, you will be provided gas or Greyhound coverage), hotel and meals will be covered. If you are successfully selected as an applicant, there is a $100 registration fee.
* You will be staying in downtown Calgary at the Hotel Arts (https://www.hotelarts.ca/).
* Flights will be through Air Canada.
* Modules and workshops will cover topics such as emotional intelligence, general leadership and advocacy skills, and leadership in the business, political and social justice fields. Modules and workshops will be facilitated by leaders in the field, such as Rumneet Billan and Suneet Singh Tulli.
* Open to applicants from across Canada with application deadline: June 30, 5 p.m. EST.
* Must be a resident of Canada
* Must be between the ages of 18-26
* Have a passion for community activism and social justice
* Learn how to advocate for issues that concern you, as well as gain practical knowledge and experience on essential leadership qualities and skills
* Network with successful applicants from across Canada
* Meet and learn from successful politicians, business people, and community activists (names to be announced soon)
* Receive training by professional modules, designed and used by such institutions as the University of Toronto and Cambridge University
* Enjoy Calgary for four days on an all-expense-paid trip
Graduates will receive life-long mentoring after completing the SYLI training. You will also be expected to take the skills and networks you develop over the four days and apply them to your local community. The WSO and your mentor will assist you in implementing and developing your own community action, initiative or cause.
How to apply:
* Send your resume, and a one page cover letter explaining why you are the perfect applicant for the SYLI to email@example.com by June 30. Make sure to answer the following questions in your cover letter:
- What previous events, initiatives, etc. have you been a part of or led?
- What do you wish to accomplish with the SYLI?
- What is an issue you want to solve?
- What does advocacy mean to you?
Admission decisions will be made on July 3.
For more information, and updates, visit http://www.worldsikh.org/syli.