Carbon monoxide could have killed two adults and two children near Ashcroft

Photo courtesy Saranagati Village website

THE BC Coroners Service that is investigating after two adults and two children were found dead in their residence near the community of Ashcroft on March 24 announced on Monday that the focus of the investigation is on a suspected occurrence of carbon monoxide gas in the residence. Toxicological examinations are underway with results expected later this week.

Working with the assistance of the RCMP and the BC Safety Authority, foul play has been ruled out.

Media reports stated that Harvey Volaine, Melissa Penner and kids Kaylex,10, and Ay, 7, were found dead inside their home last week on Friday at Saranagati Village of the Hare Krishna religious community.

According to the Saranagati Village website: “Saranagati Village is 1600 acres, located about 4 hours from Vancouver in Venables Valley. Today we have about 25 families who make Saranagati their home.  We have a small simple Temple “Sri Sri Gaura Nitai Mandir” where we have regular programs including Sunday Feast and Major Vaisnava Festivals.  We also have Govardhana Goshala for our cows.  Govardhana Academy, our local school for Vaisnava students is a K-12 Distance Learning School.  As well as the students regular academics, they also have a regular spiritual morning program as well as Vedic Dramas, Music, and other Vedic Arts.”

Carbon monoxide is an odourless and tasteless gas produced during the burning of any fossil fuel (gasoline, natural or propane gas, wood, etc.). The use of a carbon monoxide detector is a reliable method of early detection of carbon monoxide gas in the home. This does not replace the need for regular, qualified servicing of all gas appliances and wood-burning stoves. If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide gas, leave the residence immediately and seek urgent medical assistance.