Champions Trophy: South Africa choke as as dominant England reach final

LONDON: After brilliant show by the bowlers,Jonathan Trott displayed great commitment to help England beat South Africa by seven wickets and reach final of the Champions Trophy on Wednesday.

South Africa failed to get rid of their chokers tag in knock out stage of major tournaments as they were overpowered by hosts England in all departments in the first semifinals.

Invited to bat, South African batsmen collapsed like pack of cards before late flourish by David Miller guided the side to a fighting 175 at the Oval.

Though England lost openers cheaply after a slow start, brilliant show by Trott and gritty show by Joe Root powered the side to a thumping victory.

Chris Morris got rid of Alastair Cook after a slow start by England. Cook (6) edged Miller to man behind the stumps at the score of 22 in the seventh over.

Rory Kleinveldt then inflicted second blow on England by sending back Ian Bell after his knock of 20 and reduced England to 41/2.

Bell flicked Kleinveldt straight to AB de Villiers on the final delivery of the 11th over.

Root and Trott then shared 105-run stand to set up for England before JP Duminy bowled out Root for 48.

Trott then didn’t allow South Africa any further success. He stayed unbeaten after scoring 82.

South Africa risked ‘choking’ in yet another semifinal after England ripped through their ranks to restrict them to 175 all out from 38.4 overs.

It could have been worse for South Africa had it not been for a ninth-wicket stand of 95 between David Miller (56 not out) and Rory Kleinveldt (43).

England won the toss under overcast skies at The Oval and soon had South Africa reeling at four for two after James Anderson and the returning Steven Finn removed Colin Ingram and Hashim Amla in their opening overs.

Robin Peterson, again promoted up the order, tried to steady the ship with 30 but was then trapped lbw by Anderson before captain AB de Villiers (duck) and JP Duminy (three) followed in quick succession.

Spinner James Tredwell, continuing in the absence of the injured Graeme Swann, took his second wicket when Faf du Plessis (26) edged behind a cut shot with the ball barely spinning.