CANADIAN residents can fish without buying a fishing licence this Family Day Weekend, which runs Feb. 14-16.
These are a few of the ice-fishing events that families can enjoy this weekend:
- The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Family Ice Fishing Day on Feb. 14, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Rotary Park on Chemong Lake, Ennismore
- The Dryden Winter Festival Ice Fishing Derby on Feb. 16, noon to 5 p.m.
Before venturing out:
- Check ice conditions with local ice hut operators or other anglers.
- Let others know where you’re planning to fish and when you plan to return.
- Appropriate clothing and equipment are critical to safety and comfort. Many anglers wear floatation suits and carry a set of ice picks.
So get outside and enjoy some fresh air this weekend in communities across the province.
- Approximately 1.3 million licensed anglers fish in Ontario each year and spend $2.5 billion in the province annually.
- This year, Canadian residents can fish without a licence in Ontario from Feb. 14-16 and again this summer from July 4-12.
- Anglers are reminded to follow rules in the 2015 Fishing Regulations Summary.