It is with great sadness that the Kahlon family shares the news of the passing of our father and grandfather, Sardar Rajinder Singh Kahlon, 72. Our Bapu, as he enjoyed being called, died on December 3 after a brief, yet courageous battle with cancer.

Rajinder Singh leaves behind his wife of 47 years, Sardarni Pritam Kaur Kahlon; his children, Paul, Rupinder and Manjinder (Mini), their spouses, his grandchildren and many, many dear friends.

Born in 1947 in Sialkot, Pakistan, and raised in Mehatpur Mukerian, Punjab, Rajinder Singh graduated from Punjab University with a BSc in 1968. Rajinder Singh immigrated to Canada in 1971, where he worked as an engineering technician in Alberta before running his own True Value Hardware stores in Squamish and Lillooet, BC.

In 1994 Rajinder Singh began an enthusiastic career in public service. He was the first traditional Sikh elected as city councillor in Canada, served as Deputy Mayor of Squamish, was a member of the Lions Club and served as a Lions Zone Chairman. Rajinder’s service was recognized when he was named the 1998 Squamish Business Person of the Year, the 2000 Squamish District Citizen of the Year and the 1996 Melvin Jones Lions Club International Award recipient.

In Rajinder’s retirement, he loved nothing more than introducing his grandsons to the same sports he enjoyed and travelling the world with his wife by his side. Sardar Rajinder Singh Kahlon was a large, joyful presence whose death has left a hole in the hearts of many. Yet, his family takes comfort in knowing our Bapu’s life was one that was full of love and well-lived.

All are welcome to attend his funeral service on Saturday, December 14, at 12:30 p.m., at the Riverside Funeral Home, 7460 Hopcott Road, Delta. Prayers will be held at 2:30 p.m. at Gurdwara Nanak Niwas, 8600 No 5 Road, Richmond. In lieu of flowers, friends can make contributions to the Fraternity to Help Guatemalan Children, P.O Box 382-7101C- 120th Street, Delta, BC, V4C 2A9.


  1. I met Rajinder — or Raj, as I knew — late in his life. We played tennis together for a couple of years at the Tsawwassen Tennis Club, and I always enjoyed his company. I found him to be unfailingly gracious and happy, and a true gentleman, and I know everyone at the club felt the same way.
    One day, I saw Raj walk onto the courts, and he looked uncharacteristically down-hearted, so I walked up to him and asked him if he was okay. He said he had received some bad news, that he had just been diagnosed, and that he was not feeling very well. I told him how saddened I was to hear that, but he said, no, no, don’t feel sad for him, that he was going to try and beat it, and that he was going to keep playing tennis. And he did keep playing, even on those wonky knees of his. He stood tall, despite what he faced.

  2. My husband Gary, often spoke of Raj and what a truly decent man he was. Never did any of his tennis partners think that this lovely man was facing a daunting disease that would eventually take his life. It is so terribly sad that this wonderful man was not given longer on this earth to impress all others who met him regarding his intelligence, character and his unfailing courage. God have mercy on his soul. Condolences to all members of his family, and to all who loved, admired and respected him.

Comments are closed.