Sidhu Moose Wala in yet another controversy: PNE having second thoughts about his performance?

IT seems that controversy follows Punjabi singer Sidhu Moose Wala every time he decides to perform in B.C.

The latest episode is his “Back 2 Business” concert scheduled for July 23 at the Pacific Coliseum for which ticket sales have been put off until June 4.

PNE spokesperson Laura Ballance told the media that the delay was because they were reassessing security concerns with police in view of the large numbers expected to attend.

She said the police could tell them that they wanted “two or six officers on-site” along with the PNE’s in-house security team for the event. The police cost would then be passed on to the show’s promoter.

Back in June 2019, the Moose Wala’s performance at the 5X Fest was cancelled after the City of Surrey let the promoter know in its own way that that would not be acceptable in view of the history of violence at his shows in Canada.

Laurie Cavan, General Manager of City of Surrey’s Parks, Recreation and Culture, said at the time in a statement: “Given the public safety issues that have occurred at past performances, which included a stabbing at a concert in Surrey and shots fired at an event in Calgary earlier this year, the City’s Festival Events Team felt that is was not in the best interest of public safety to support this performance at a family friendly, all ages event.”

She added: “As a result, the team requested the event promoter to modify their entertainment lineup.”

Surrey RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Chad Greig told The VOICE back then: “We provided an assessment to the City of Surrey and so the City of Surrey made a final decision.”

He added: “We always do assessments when it comes to large gatherings in the City. It’s a collaborative effort between the City and the RCMP. We do it for Canada Day, we do it for the Cloverdale Rodeo, we do it for Vaisakhi. We do assessments like that all the time.”

On February 15, 2019, a male was stabbed at Surrey’s Bollywood Banquet Hall where Moose Wala was performing. The suspect in the case turned himself in on April 30 after police released his photo to the media.