VOICES of Muslim Women (VMW) has announced finalists for the third annual VMW Awards, honouring the achievements of 22 phenomenal Muslim women. This year’s finalists are:
● Allies of Muslim Women – Grace Club, Janice Morris and Ershad Fawcett
● Arts & Culture – Sumaiya Tufail and Noor Fadel
● Athletic Excellence – Rakiia Lolieva and Naadiya Ali
● Business & Entrepreneurial Leadership – Sabrina Samy, Sidra Subzwari and Humaira Qayum
● Lifetime Achievement – Kuresa Buksh and Dr. Amera Murabit
● Media & Entertainment – Ziyana Vasaya and Iayisha Khan
● Social Justice – Turnisa Matsedik, Hira Rashid and Humaira Hamid
● STEM – Fouziah Khairati and Hanieh Shakeri
● Young Women in Distinction – Zeba Khan, Sofia Slater and Fizza Rashid
“The VMW Awards Gala not only celebrates the successes of women in our community, it also creates connection, collaboration, and inspiration,” said Aisha Amijee, Executive Director of Voices of Muslim Women. “It is my honour to congratulate this year’s finalists on their amazing achievements.”
Founded in 2017, the VMW Awards are given annually to self-identifying Muslim women of British Columbia who excel socially and professionally in the various award categories. Each year, VMW calls out for members of the community to nominate women they believe are deserving of this prestigious award. A panel of award judges have shortlisted the finalists and selected the winner for each category after much deliberation and consideration.
The winner for each category will be awarded on October 26 at 7 p.m. during a ceremony held at Aria Banquet Hall at 12350 Pattullo Place, Surrey.