THE BC Coroners Service on Tuesday announced that according to preliminary findings, there were 127 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths last month. This represents a 112% increase over the number of deaths in September 2019 (60) and a 15% decrease from the number of deaths in August 2020 (150).
Other key preliminary findings:
* There were about 4.2 illicit drug toxicity deaths per day in September.
* In 2020, 70% of those dying were aged 30 to 59. Males accounted for 80% of deaths.
* Vancouver, Surrey and Victoria have experienced the highest number of illicit drug toxicity deaths this year.
* Both male and female illicit drug toxicity death rates have decreased in recent months from highs in May, June and July.
* Illicit drug toxicity death rates among all age groups have declined from highs in May, June and July. However, rates among people aged 40 to 59 remain at high levels.
* No deaths have been reported at supervised consumption or drug overdose prevention sites.