THE City of Surrey has been selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers in 2020, which recognizes employers that lead the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness in their organizations.
“This award really speaks to the commitment the City of Surrey has made to the sustainability of our communities,” said Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum on Wednesday. “With innovative approaches like the Surrey Biofuel Facility and our new West Village Energy Centre, we are proud of the work in our fight against climate change and we will continue to look for more opportunities to lead the way in sustainability.”
This is the first time the City has been recognized for this award and is only one of four BC municipalities receiving the award for 2020. The City was evaluated and selected based on its unique environmental initiatives and programs; its success in reducing their environmental footprint; the degree to which employees are involved in its programs; and the extent to which these initiatives have become linked to the City’s identity.
Sustainability and energy efficiency are key priorities for the City of Surrey. Guided by its Sustainability Charter 2.0, an ambition 40-year vision for sustainability in Surrey, the City says it is committed to taking steps towards a thriving, green, inclusive city. Its environmental initiatives include the following:
- Developing and expanding the Energy Smart Team, an employee-led program that focuses on advancing sustainability within the organization
- Building sustainably designed facilities, like Surrey City Hall, the Grandview Heights Aquatics Centre and the Surrey Biofuel Facility
- Hosting annual Pop-Up Junk events, collecting more than 3500 tonnes of waste each year and recycling approximately 65% of all the materials collected
- Opening the West Village Energy Centre that will serve its City Centre population with reliable, cost-competitive, and cleaner heating and hot water services
- Hosting many public programs and events, like the Love Where You Live campaign and Environmental Extravaganza that educate the community and encourage citizens to do their part in keeping Surrey green and beautiful
For more information on the City of Surrey’s sustainability efforts, visit www.surrey.ca/sustainability.