A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared on the fourth floor of Lions Gate Hospital in the 4 West (sub-acute medicine unit) and 4 East (acute medicine unit) units after 16 patients and one staff member tested positive for COVID-19, Vancouver Coastal Health announced on Thursday.
The unit is closed to new admissions and transfers at this time. All non-essential visits to the fourth floor of Lions Gate Hospital have been suspended until the outbreak measures have been lifted; the exception being for compassionate visits at the end of life.
Vancouver Coastal Health has immediately implemented strict infection prevention and control protocols to prevent further transmission of COVID-19. These include:
· Careful monitoring of patients, staff and physicians
· Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of all high-touch surfaces
· Closing the units to patient admissions and transfers
· Cohorting of staff to the affected areas
· Self-monitoring or self-isolation of staff/physicians as part of Public Health contact tracing
· Suspension of visitors to the unit (with exemptions for end-of-life situations)
Lions Gate Hospital remains open and is prepared to safely receive and care for all individuals who require urgent and emergent care. Do not delay in seeking care as this could worsen your condition.