TORONTO: Dancing Damsels Inc., an incorporated non-profit multi-cultural Arts Promoting Company for Women Empowerment has announced DD Women Achievers 2015 Awards. Each year, on International Women’s Day (March 8), 12 successful women are honoured with this achievement award to celebrate their success and to empower other women to exercise equal opportunities in their chosen line of work.
The award winners for this year are:
* Dipika Damerla MPP (Associate Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, responsible for Long-Term Care and Wellness) – Politics
* Asha Vishwanath (President of Kannada Sangha Toronto) – Community Leadership
* Brandy Leary (Founder Anandam Dance theatre) – Arts & Cultural Integration
* Thresia Thomas (Woman behind the success – through various associations) – Community Service
* Ramneek Singh (Indian Classical Vocalist) – Music
* Ravinder Malhi (Founder of Toronto Aesthetics & Hair Academy) –Business
* Malavilly Varatharajan (Provincial and Regional record holder in cross-country) – Sports
* Puja Amin (Owner and Director of Sanskriti Arts in Toronto and President of Bollycore!) – Performing Arts
* Dr.Arthy Saravanan (Mrs.India International 2014) – Volunteering
* Angie Seth (On Air Reporter Global News Toronto) – Media & Communication
* Reena Deon (South Asian creative still photographer, photo journalist) – Photography
* Lata Menon (barrister and solicitor ) – Law
There will be a special Jury Award for Mary David (the first woman in the Seiwa Kai (“Say wa keye”) GoJu Ryu Organization in Canada to earn her 5th degree black belt) – for excellence in the martial arts.
The detailed profiles of the winners are published on the website:
Mary Ashok, Managing Director of ‘Team DD,’ said they are all set ready to celebrate
IWD 2015 with vivid programs at The Meeting House (2700 Bristol Circle), Oakville, from 5 p.m. onwards. The theme of the event will be: “Equality for women means progress for all”.
Federal / provincial ministers and community leaders have been invited for this event. The confirmed guest speakers of the evening are: Dr. Asha Seth (Canada’s first Indo-Canadian female senator), Anu Srivastava (Chair, Panorama India), Kripa Sekhar (Executive Director of the South Asian Women’s Centre (SAWC), Dr. Deepali Dewan (Senior Curator at the Royal Ontario Museum, & Teacher in the Dept. of Art @ University of Toronto), Lata Pada (Founder and Artistic Director of Sampradaya Dance Creations), Shobha Shekar (Carnatic and Hindustani Classical Singer), Dr. Kala Sridhar (Assistant Professor within the Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology at the University of Toronto and head of the genitourinary cancers medical oncology site group at the Princess Margaret Hospital), Anu Vittal (Executive Director of the Mississauga Arts Council (MAC),), Indira Naidoo-Harris (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, focusing on long-term care.). The organizers said that more VIPs will join the celebration.
More details about the guest speakers are published on their website link: http://www.ddshows.com/chief-guests-iwd-2015
The organizers encourage the public to reserve their seats online in advance and like and share their social media pages and posts.
For more information and to reserve your seats you can visit their website:
or contact Mary Ashok (Managing Director) @416-788-6412.