SURREY RCMP are warning the public after users of the online app ‘LetGo’ were targeted for robbery.
Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit is actively investigating four separate robberies involving the app ‘LetGo’. In each of these incidents the victims were robbed after meeting to buy a cellphone from someone advertising on ‘LetGo’.
The robbery suspects are described as two dark-skinned male youth in their teens.
Surrey RCMP is providing some personal safety tips that may be helpful when arranging meetings with unknown online parties to buy or sell items:
* Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, or shopping center
* Do not meet in a secluded place or invite strangers into your home
* Only meet during daylight hours or in a well-lit and heavily populated area
* Be especially careful when buying or selling high value items
* Tell a friend or family member where you’re going and when you’re meeting the buyer / seller
* Take your cell phone and a friend along to accompany you
* Always trust your instincts while arranging a meeting – ‘If it feels wrong… so long!’
Anyone with information about this series of robberies is asked to call Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or, if you wish to make an anonymous report, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.solvecrime.ca.