EFFECTIVE January 28, the modified pre-departure test requirements for travellers coming to Canada on direct or indirect flights from India or Morocco were removed. Travellers from these countries are no longer required to obtain a valid negative pre-departure COVID-19 test from a third country. All travellers entering Canada are now subject to the same pre-entry test requirements, regardless of their departure country, according to Transport Canada.
The temporary exemption from pre-entry, arrival, and day-8 testing and quarantine requirements for residents and essential workers of British Columbia who have to travel by land to or through the United States for essential food and supplies will end on January 31 at 8:59 p.m. PST.
- The Government of Canada continues to require that all travellers, unless specifically exempted, have a valid negative pre-departure COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before a scheduled flight to Canada or arrival at the land border, or a previous positive molecular test result taken between 10 and 180 days before departure to Canada.
- As travellers arriving in Canada by air may be required to be tested for COVID-19 before leaving the airport, they are strongly encouraged to pre-register with testing providers prior to travel. Pre-registration will help reduce congestion in airports and processing time for travellers in crowded areas. Registration upon arrival takes about 15 minutes, whereas testing itself takes 2-4 minutes for pre-registered travellers. Pre-registering for the test has no impact on selection for testing.
- The Government of Canada continues to advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of the country at this time.
- All travellers, regardless of how long they were away from Canada, continue to be required to submit their mandatory information via ArriveCAN (free mobile app or website), including proof of vaccination in English or French and a quarantine plan prior to arriving in Canada.
- Travellers should check if they are eligible to enter Canada and meet all entry requirements before heading to the border. In addition, some provinces and territories may have their own entry restrictions in place. Check and follow both the federal and any provincial or territorial restrictions and requirements before travelling to Canada.
- All travellers eligible to enter Canada must complete the mandatory pre-departure molecular COVID-19 test unless exempt. Antigen tests are not accepted.